Thursday, October 27, 2011

Flexibility

               There’s a lot of water in Bangkok today.

     Thailand is experiencing record-breaking floods. It hasn’t been this bad in fifty years. What does this mean for little ol’ me? I have no idea, yet. I’m awaiting word as to whether or not my flight will be pushed back several days or even a few weeks. As it stands now, I am supposed to fly to The Land of Smiles in eight days. While it might seem inconvenient to me, it is devastating to the Thai people. Over 300 people have been killed from these flood waters; at least fifty from that number were children.

Priorities, people.
    
     If you are the praying type, I offer up Thailand and Asia as an addition to your roster. What I’m learning from this is patience, humility and even more patience in regards to steering clear of really bad jokes. I want my blog to be fun and accessible for everyone, but I did see the need to take a moment out from the amusement and pay respects. May I suggest you take a moment and appreciate how dry you and your belongings are?

     I come from Southeast NC where hurricanes are the norm. In fact, we even participate in hurricane parties. The power goes out, the candles get lit, and the socializing begins. I appreciate those times because they shine a spotlight on how little we truly communicate with one another. Technology is my friend, don’t get me wrong, I love my computer, my Kindle and my iPod. However, just sitting and talking with friends and family is becoming a ‘past’ time. I vote we don’t let it.   
     This also brings to mind the meaning of flexibility. Especially in travel, I believe the less rigid you are the less stress you’ll incur. Steinbeck said, “A journey is like marriage. The certain way to be wrong is to think you control it.”
     Right!?
     There is no danger in being flexible and the Thai people even have a concept that epitomizes what I’m trying to convey. The Thai use this phrase as a way of approaching everyday situations; “jai yen yen” literally means cool your heart. The best comparison I can make is to a Disney movie, The Lion King. It is very much like Timon and Pumba’s description of Hakuna Matata. No worries. It’s no big deal. Thais often operate with this in mind, eschewing the stress that accompanies being late for work due to a traffic jam. Of course, this is only information that I have gleaned from my Lonely Planet guidebook and other sources. I promise to give a first hand account as soon as I’m able. 
     For now, I leave you with one more quote (I just love quotes-there will be more) that should, hopefully, put a smile on your face. The Duke gave us this one.

     “Life is tough. It’s tougher when you’re stupid.” ~John Wayne

Picture from thaitravelnews.net

No comments:

Post a Comment